Skip to main content

Mock Interview Reflection

How do you feel the interview went overall? 
After watching the video of my interview, I feel the interview went good, not great. I think I answered some questions very well, but could definitely improve on others.  I initially felt defeated right after the interview because I did not articulate my response to one question very well.  However, I felt better about the whole experience after watching the video back.  I realized it was not as bad as I thought, and the response to one question did not define the entire interview.  I definitely learned a lot through this experience and that was the point!

How did you prepare for the interview?
I prepared for the interview by reading through all the available resources on Blackboard and walking through my answers to each hypothetical question.  I made lists of my strengths, weaknesses, goals, and what I am looking for in a job.

What went differently than you expected?
I got a little tripped up on one question, which I was not expecting because I did prepare a lot for this mock interview. However, it just shows that you cannot prepare for every single question.  The interviewer also said I handled the situation well by asking her to repeat the question and start my response over.  This experience was discouraging initially, but I did learn that it is okay to be nervous and start over a response to an interview question.  I also learned that even if I feel I am crashing and burning on the inside, I kept my cool fairly well.

What's something you would change if you could go through this process again (or something you'll do differently when you're in a real-life interview situation)?
After watching the video of my interview, I noticed I did not give myself time to think before responding to each question.  As soon as the interviewer finished asking the question I would launch straight into my answer without knowing the direction I was going with my response.  Going forward, I will give myself a few moments to collect my thoughts and decide how I want to respond so I do not end up talking in circles.  While I may feel the need to fill awkward silence, I realized it really wouldn’t be all that awkward to leave a few moments to think before responding.

What's something you learned during this process that may be helpful to you as you prepare to enter the workforce as an OT practitioner?
Through this experience, I learned the interviewers are mostly looking for someone who will fit in well with their work culture.  I was asked questions about how I would build relationships with new co-workers or what my ideal supervisor would be like.  These are questions I definitely will prepare more for in the future.  I did not initially prepare for these specific questions because I found the answers to be intuitive, which is why I think I had a hard time articulating my responses.  In reality, these are very important aspects to consider before taking a job.  Additionally, I learned interviewers are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, eager to learn, and interested in continuing their education in the field.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do-Live-Well Framework

Do-Live-Well is a framework of reference used by occupational therapists that ultimately emphasizes "what you do everyday matters."  It has four main sections being (1) dimensions of experience, (2) activity patterns, (3) health and well-being outcomes, and (4) contextual forces influencing activity engagement, or things in the environment.  These sections are further broken down into more specific dimensions.  This framework can help identify missed or disrupted dimensions that interrupt with an individual's well-being.  It aims to empower people in reflecting on their patterns of activity engagement and promote health and well-being.  This framework can be used on all populations and in any setting.  When using this framework, a therapist might assess the client's activity patterns such as habits, routines, roles and rituals, ADL skill level, community involvement, and physical abilities.

Stay Client-Centered Always

My senior year of my undergraduate degree at the University of Alabama I started a job as a therapy aide at a local outpatient clinic.  I loved the atmosphere and the fast pace as it was a very busy clinic with often times 10 patients an hour between 3 therapists and 2 PTAs.  Often times every client's session started with preparatory exercises such as the arm/leg bike, pulleys, fluidotherapy machines, and more.  As I was working there I saw the purpose to these exercises to warm up the muscles before therapy sessions.  Now that I have spent three months in OT school, I see there might be better activities to engage the clients in and make their hour sessions more worthwhile and motivating.  I wonder if the therapists used these preparatory exercises because they were so busy and could not work the entirety of the hour one-on-one with the clients, forcing them split their time between themselves and prep exercises. I thought the busier the clinic was the better business they were r

Au-Some Swimmers

I listened to the Glass Half Full podcast about the role of OT in an Au-Some Swimmers program, a program providing swimming lessons to kids on the autism spectrum.  A group of OT students approached the Au-Some Swimmers program as a community service learning project.  Before I started the podcast I had no idea what to expect or how these students were going to incorporate OT into the swimming lessons. I really liked the way they approached their project because when asked what the objectives were they said they didn't really have any to start out with.  They interviewed the stakeholders of the program to find out what they were having difficulties with and developed the objectives from there.  This reminded me of the process of the occupational profiles we have been doing in class.  The OT students quickly learned the volunteer lifeguards were having trouble communicating with each other and the kids.  That is when I instantly saw the value of OT in this particular scenario.  The