Skip to main content

Neuro Note #1 Lindsey Becker

For my first Neuro Note, I watched a few videos from Lindsey Becker's YouTube channel.  Lindsey is a woman with spina bifida and happens to be this year's Ms. Wheelchair Tennessee.  She uses a wheelchair in her everyday life, and posts videos on YouTube about how she adapts and modifies her environment to continue living a normal life.  The videos I watched included "Home Adaptations," "Wheelchair user Mazda RX-8 with adaptive hand controls," and "PSA for Package Delivery Couriers for Wheelchairs."  I chose to watch Lindsey's videos for this assignment because I was just informed she will be coming to UTHSC's campus as a SOTA guest speaker.  We also discuss home modifications in class, and I wanted to see what that looked like in an actual home.

 In the first video, Lindsey walked the audience through all the modifications in her home including two ramps, shower and closet remodels, as well as kitchen remodeling plans.  It was eye-opening to see all the thought and creativity that contributes to home modifications.  I know this can be a huge part of OT, and it was so interesting to learn about all the specific details.  For example, I did not realize ramps had to be 12 inches long for every inch it is in height.  Something else I had not considered is all the spaces required by ADA for turn arounds and transfers on ramps and in the bathroom.  Luckily, Lindsey and her husband were able to get many modifications covered by an Adaptive Housing Grant.  However, she pointed out the ramp in their garage was not covered because it was not up to ADA standards, although it was the neatest part of the house in my opinion.  The couple installed a door at the top of the ramp near their car in the garage where they can unload groceries instead of having to carry them up the whole ramp.  I imagine that addition was worth every penny!  I also enjoyed listening to her future plans in the kitchen remodel.  I noticed they had some high shelves that were not being used.  She mentioned they are wanting to install pull down shelves that way they can access them more easily.  I cannot envision what that looks like, so I plan on staying tuned to her channel to hopefully see for myself when they are finished.

I also watched a short video of Lindsey demonstrating how she uses her car because I have always been curious how it works.  I was honestly shocked when I saw she drives a sports car.  I did not know what I was expecting her to drive but definitely not something so small and sleek.  She demonstrated how she stores her chair with ease and how she uses a spinner knob and hand control for the petals.  I was amazed as to how relatively low tech the car modifications were.  It seemed very reasonable and simple to operate.

Because I just couldn't get enough of Lindsey Becker's life, I watched one last quick video addressing package delivery services, something I would have never thought would effect individuals with wheelchairs.  She pointed out that some package placements on her front porch are just about impossible for her to reach.  The best place for the package to be placed is right in front of the door on the side it opens, not the hinge side.  This is such a small adjustment, but one that could make all the difference in someone's day.  I think all package delivery personnel should be very aware of houses with wheelchair users and conscious of the package placement.  I will definitely start paying more attention to that in my everyday life.

I thoroughly enjoyed learning about all the different kinds of adaptations Lindsey has in her life.  To me it was obvious she is perfectly capable of living a normal life.  I am glad she makes videos that display her life so candidly.  I hope her videos educate others, like myself, and inspire anyone struggling with the idea of living a happy and independent life in a wheelchair.

Link to Lindsey Becker's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel
/UCnRCO5qCNeoIUflFCpIf8sw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do-Live-Well Framework

Do-Live-Well is a framework of reference used by occupational therapists that ultimately emphasizes "what you do everyday matters."  It has four main sections being (1) dimensions of experience, (2) activity patterns, (3) health and well-being outcomes, and (4) contextual forces influencing activity engagement, or things in the environment.  These sections are further broken down into more specific dimensions.  This framework can help identify missed or disrupted dimensions that interrupt with an individual's well-being.  It aims to empower people in reflecting on their patterns of activity engagement and promote health and well-being.  This framework can be used on all populations and in any setting.  When using this framework, a therapist might assess the client's activity patterns such as habits, routines, roles and rituals, ADL skill level, community involvement, and physical abilities.

What is the OTPF?

OTPF stands for Occupational Therapy Practice Framework, and it does exactly what it says.  It provides a framework for occupational therapy practitioners that guides their practice.  It serves the purpose of establishing a common language among practitioners and guiding the evaluation, intervention, and outcome process.  It also helps define the occupational therapy scope of practice.  The OTPF describes in-depth various skills and factors to consider during OT services such as client factors, performance skills and patterns, and the environment in which clients engage in their everyday lives.  The OTPF emphasizes a top-down approach, which is understanding the roles clients have in their lives and attending to those roles first and foremost instead of focusing on the limitations, illness, or injury at hand.  This way, practitioners know what the client values in their everyday life, and they can use OT services to help them get back to living their best life.

Anna Garrett OT640 Debrief

Hi guys!  Congrats on finished our last Level I FW!  I have attached my Level I FW C debrief here:   https://youtu.be/a9DqkQ6mWos    I hope y’all have a great summer break, and I am looking forward to catching up when we return to class! P.S.  The washer/dryer is running in the background of my video, and I did not realize until after the fact :)